Thursday 11 April 2013

DIY Fantastic: Quartz Pear Drop Necklace




I've been wanting to create a fun, bold modern necklace using real materials for a while. After a little perusing on the ol' world wide web I stumbled across these gorgeous honey coloured quartz beads in a tear drop shape and some super cute neon ones too. Don't they look like pear drops? Almost good enough to eat! Erm, I wouldn't recommend it, so lets get right down to work...




These are the ingredients I pulled together:

1. Beading wire
2. Silver plated belcher chain
3. Silver plated lobster clasp
4. Silver plated jump rings
5. Honey quartz pear drop beads, that I found here
6. Green neon dyed beads, also from here
7. Pliers




The best thing about this necklace is that it looks complicated, but is actually super simple! I loved combining the natural colour of the quartz with the neon green colour of the separator beads, but you can go with any colour combo you fancy and then just follow these few steps:

1. Cut the beading wire into two six inch pieces and string on your beads. I opted to make the second strand slightly longer than the first one so that it'd hang slightly lower and created the layered effect I was after.




2. Once you are happy with your stringing knot off the ends and snip the ends off. I knotted the wire strands directly onto the jump ring and used a tiny dot of glue to ensure it didn't come undone!

3. For step three use the pliers to gently open the jump rings. Take your belcher chain and divide into two equal pieces. Try it out for size on yourself regularly so that it hangs just where you want it to!




4. Attach one end of each strand of chain to the two wire strands and gently prise the jump ring closed. Then repeat on the other side.

5. Finally, attach the lobster clasp to each loose strand of chain with the last two jump rings.

6. and tah-dah! You're beautiful necklace is complete! :)





And finally a sneaky little out-take. (You know how I like to end all my posts!) This is what most of our shots look like when Izzy and I get together to take a few photos... :)




Thank you for modelling Izzy, you're gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment