Monday 23 June 2014

Reinventing myself

I may be showing my age a little, but when I read this article on the BBC, I couldn't help but feel a little bit sad! Has the signature really lost it's place it today's society? As someone who has always loved typography, calligraphy, script and even plain old fashioned joined up writing, I am teeny bit gutted that the signature is on the demise.

I can't help but agree that as a security control it is rather dubious. I'm sure I'm not the only one who, as a teenager that had to get her homework diary signed by a parent once a week, spent hours trying to perfect my folks' signatures!! It's uncanny how much a signature says about a person - my Ma's is swift, loopy, full of character, easy to read and long. Whereas my Pa's is controlled, restrained, clear and precise. If you know either of them you'd know instantly that all those words could be used to describe their personalities too.


I wonder what my signature says of me?!! That's a little harder that one! It's crazy that you have to develop a signature at quite a young age and live with it for so long - I remember getting my first bank account and having to do my signature. Proud moment. :) I remember practicing so many different 'M's and trying to decide on my favourite. But as attached as I am to my signature, I am also very excited about getting the chance to devise a totally new one - to reinvent myself!

This seems a good a point as any to justify changing my surname when we get married. I'm looking forward to starting a new phase of 'me'. One where I am a wife, a partner in crime and half of a new family unit! Whether we call ourselves the Eeles or the Needhams is almost arbitrary, what matters to me most is that we are in it together. My surname is just one of the outward symbols of that, it's not going to change who I am and all that I currently stand for. I'm just adding a few new strings to that bow. So, we shall be the Needhams and I shall be Mrs Needham. :) Eeeeek!!

And as part of this process, I get to re-design a little part of me I've had since I was 14! It's clearly time for a re-vamp. Keeping the core features but update it for the modern day and age, as the marketing spiel might go! Or a new twist on an old favourite?! Either way I'd best get practicing!

How attached are you to your signature and how would you feel about changing it?! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment